Wednesday, January 16, 2013

32 weeks...and definitely nesting!

How far along? 32 weeks! That's 8 weeks from our due date and only 5 weeks until the baby is considered full term!
Baby size? She weighs about 4 pounds and is about 17 inches long!
What's going on with the baby? She's gaining weight (about half a pound a week). She has toenails, fingernails, and hair and her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps in preparation for birth. She's also head down (as of my last appointment) and will probably stay like that until birth (she's been in that position most of my pregnancy, so my doctor says she will most likely stay like that). And the best news: If she was born now, she would have an excellent change of surviving without life-threatening complications (but I hope she stays in and keeps growing until at least 37 weeks)!
Total weight gain/loss: Probably somewhere around 22 pounds (we'll find out at next week's appointment).
Maternity clothes? All maternity clothes with the exception of pj/yoga/sweat pants. I tried to put on a non-maternity tank top this morning and it was not long enough to cover my belly! This belly is just getting bigger and bigger.
Stretch marks? None yet!
Sleep: I can usually get comfortable and fall asleep, but I have been waking up EVERY morning between 4am-430am and cannot go back to sleep. So I lay in bed (hoping to fall asleep) until my alarm goes off at 5:20am. Then I head to the gym to walk 3 miles. At least I'm getting my exercising in. Hopefully I can fall back to sleep on the weekends!
Best moment this week: A surprise baby shower at book club (Baby King received some great books to start her reading collection!); getting a few nursery items in the mail from family/friends! I cannot wait to put the nursery together! I was also able to start my hospital bag and get a few other items crossed off the to-do list.
Awkward moment this week: Trying on nursing bras and thinking to myself "there is no way I will fit into that bra...it is huge!" and then finding out that was size I needed.
Miss anything? Sleeping in past 4am; deli sandwiches
Movement: Lots of movement...and I still love it! I know she is starting to get cramped in there, so when she moves, my whole stomach moves!
Food cravings: Nothing really... if anything, when I get hungry I can't figure out what sounds good.
Anything making you queasy or sick? The last couple days I have been getting really bad heartburn and feel slightly sick about an hour or two after I eat... therefore, fruit smoothies and toast with peanut butter and bananas have been my dinner of choice the last 2 nights.
Have you started to show yet? Definitely. It's to the point where people are thinking my due date is pretty close (and it is!).
Gender prediction: Girl! And I thought we had a name picked out but for some reason I can't seem to commit to a name anymore. It's such a big decision... good thing we are keeping it a secret so we can change our minds as many times as we want until she's born!
Labor signs: Still having Braxton Hicks contractions, but nothing to worry about.
Belly button in or out? The top part is out and the rest is neither in or out...
Wedding rings on or off? On.
Happy or moody most of the time? Happy. Although I am definitely in the nesting phase so I want things done around the house/nursery done ASAP. And when it doens't get done, I tend to get moody :) But hey, the faster it gets done, the faster I'm in a happy mood again :)
Looking forward to: My baby shower at my mom's house this Sunday and getting a prenatal massage today at lunch (yay!) 

Here is a picture from the book club baby shower (31 weeks):


And here we are this morning at 32 weeks:


Ryan and I have been busy with all things baby lately! I have definitely entered the nesting phase of this pregnancy! Last weekend (with the help of my amazing SIL), I was able to get a few more items for the nursery, finalize my registries, and start my hospital bag. As far as the nursery goes, Ryan needs to install the ceiling fan/light and build the side table (to go next to the glider) and I need to wash/fold/organize the baby clothes we received (as gifts and from our nieces) and start putting things away. With my baby showers quickly approaching, I cannot wait to finalize the nursery! I also have other things in the house I want to get ready/organized before baby arrives. Including the hall closet (with our bathroom products, towels, sheets) and the Tupperware cabinet in the kitchen. I need to make room for bottles and I'm thinking I can consolidate the Tupperware on one shelf and have room for bottles on the other shelf. Last week I was feeling pretty stressed about not having things ready for the baby, but after a productive weekend, I feel better about things. And I've realized that if she arrives before I have my to-do list complete, we have so many family and friends nearby that will help us with the essentials...we will be just fine.

We have also been crazy busy taking baby classes. Sunday we toured the hospital. We found out where we need to park, check-in, and were able to see the private birthing suites (if all goes as planned, we will have the same room for labor, delivery, and recovery), nursery (although this is only used for babies after a c-section... otherwise the baby stays in the room with me the entire time), operating room (in case I need a c-section), and recovery rooms for c-section patients. Monday we had a breastfeeding and baby basics class, and Tuesday/Thursday we have the last half of our childbirth preparation class. The only other class we have scheduled is another childbirth preparation course on Feb 2 taught by my prenatal yoga teacher (who is also a midwife in training). The course is a condensed Birthing From Within course and I'm actually really excited about it.

Other than that, I have started reading What To Expect The First Year (thanks Ashlye!) while walking at the gym in the mornings. I have a few other books that others have given me about sleeping and breastfeeding that I am hoping to at least start (if not finish) before baby girl arrives. Although I know Ryan and I will figure things out as we go, it can still be a little overwhelming. This baby girl growing inside me means the world to us already and we just want to do everything we can to ensure she has the best life possible.

1 comment: