After the last post about my running activities, I had every intention of blogging on a weekly basis and updating everyone about my progress. However, life has been a little hectic lately.
Ryan and I are having the hardwood floors refinished in our house. The previous owner covered the original hardwood floors with carpet. We have wanted to have this done for a while now, but it never seemed like the right time. We finally decided to just go for it and we couldn’t be happier…well, we will be when it’s done.
We decided to get the floors done in 2 stages to avoid moving ALL of our furniture in the garage at once. We started with the back half of the house in early January. We moved everything out of the 2 bedrooms. And I mean EVERYTHING. Because they needed to sand the floors (which makes a huge mess!), we needed to take everything out of our closets, remove the shutters from the windows, and take everything off the walls. As a result, Ryan and I were sleeping on the couch for 2-1/2 weeks and all of our clothes were outside in the garage. But now that the floors are done in the back, and they look GREAT, it was all worth it.
But we’re not done yet.
Now we are preparing to have the front half of the house done. We have started moving furniture out of the rooms and putting it in the guest room or garage. Tonight we will move the rest of the furniture, take everything off of the walls, and start ripping up the carpets. We will be able to stay at our house for a few days (and sleep in our own bed), but once they start staining and putting the finishing coat on the floors, we will need to be out of there. We can’t get to our bedroom without walking through the front of the house. And since we can’t walk on the floors until they are totally dry (which takes about a week or more since it’s cold/damp outside), we will be staying at a friend’s house during that time and running the heater on high to expedite the drying process.
But it will all be worth it when it’s done…and we can’t wait!
But despite all of the craziness going on with the house…I have stuck to my running schedule. Ryan and I run with Gunner (our black lab) during the week after work and I have been meeting up with my friend Shannon on Saturdays for the long runs. Ryan has been hunting on the weekends but I’m sure he’ll join us on the long runs next month since he’s running the ½ marathon in March with me.
The first week of running was a little tough. My body wasn’t used to running every day (last time I did that was in September!) and I had to get used to running in the cold weather. Your muscles definitely take longer to warm up when it’s only 40-50 degrees outside! But I was sticking to my training schedule regardless. And it paid off because last Saturday I felt great on our long run! Granted it was only 5 miles, but I felt like I could have ran more! All of the training during the week is paying off! This week is a rest week (mileage drops 10% to let your muscles have a break), so that will be nice. But I’ve got a long way to go to run 26.2 miles in June! But as long as I can stay injury free, I’ll be good to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment